Internet / Wi-Fi
APNK offers free internet services to library customers via Wi-Fi and Chrome devices.
If you need help connecting your device, refer to our WiFi Troubleshooting
And refer here for help with using Email on Personal Devices
APNK internet access is filtered to ensure inappropriate material is not viewed in a public environment.
Please talk to a library staff member if you believe a website has been incorrectly blocked.
In order to stay safe on a public wireless network the APNK recommends that you follow standard computer security guidelines, including:
- Have up-to-date anti-virus software running
- Have up-to-date security patches for the operating system and other programs installed
- Check that websites requiring passwords/credit card/personal information use HTTPS (see below)
- Configure your email to use SSL
- Connect to a known Wi-Fi network
APNK also ensures that Wireless Client Security Separation is enabled at all our free Wi-Fi hotspots – this means that associated wireless clients are not able to communicate directly with each other's devices.
Only connect to a trustworthy Wi-Fi network
The APNK Wi-Fi network is:
Name: APNK Library
If you are accessing a page that requires a login and password, or if you are entering ANY personal data (credit card, etc) make sure that you are on a secure site.
Check that the web address begins with https instead of the usual http and your information will be safely encrypted before transmission.
Online resources about internet safety
- Keep It Real Online (government-sponsored site for parents)
- DIA Censorship - Online Safety
- Hector's World
- NZ Police
- Cert NZ